Bunning Accepts Deal On Jobless Benefits
March 3, 2010
Posted by on
Okay, so I’m really conflicted on this. On the one hand, a guy fighting for fiscal responsibility can’t be all evil. Even if it means some people lose their handouts, these guys are supposed to do their job looking towards long-term goals, not short-term polls. So I’ll throw out several thoughts as organized as I can.
- I agree with him that the $10 million should be paid for.
- I agree with Democrats that his hissy fit over $10 Million is hypocritical and partisan after his votes for unfunded wars and Medicare Part D.
- Hypocrisy aside, one of the things I liked about the Dems and Obama was their pledge to bring back Pay-Go. Hypocrisy and partisanship of the other side can’t be used as an excuse to do the wrong thing.
- $10 million is chump change compared to the debt we have,
- I am poor and broke and I work full time and I really personally, on an emotional level ,don’t like the idea that people are getting paid more per month from the government in unemployment benefits than I earn for all my work. I get home stinky and smelly and achy and I get absolutely nothing from the government. I know I should feel bad for people out of work, but they have to get a job at some point. Plus I know that lots (not all) of those “poor unemployed” people deserve to have been fired or are cheating the Government by having a job that pays under the table. With our economy tanking, we need those people to get any job they can. If that means they have to go get a job for $6 an hour as a dishwasher and send a Mexican home, so be it. I’d much rather help a dishwasher working full time with a rent subsidy than keep paying people not to work month after month.
- That emotional rant aside, I realize there is a financial and economic plan at work that we don’t want the unemployed to tank the whole economy any more, but their payments still have to end sometime.
In closing, the moral learned seems to be that yes, one Senator can screw up all of Congress single handedly. In fact it doesn’t take two to tango. W.T.F. Why didn’t they do that to stop Medicare part D? Why didn’t someone do that to keep us out of Iraq? Why didn’t somebody pull a Bunning over something important? (Yes, I’ve decided to turn his name into a Verb. Live with it.) They suddenly realize one Senator can F up all of Washington and they do it over a measly $10 million in unemployment benefits? WTF man? WTF!?
I hate these politicians.